Koala regulations recap
The final mapping and planning regulations have now been in effect for three weeks with members still realising the true impacts.
- Final mapping and planning regulations in effect for 3 weeks
- Two members have produced guides to assist members to understand new arrangements.
The final mapping and the planning regulations have now been in effect for three weeks with members still realising the true impacts.
The Institute reiterates the missed opportunities by the State Government to truly implement meaningful conservation efforts to preserve the South East Queensland Koalas through strategic national parks for koalas.
Due to the strong advocacy from the Institute, particular focus was given to protecting committed development, more rigorous mapping, additional non-planning framework actions, preserving as much as possible the housing potential in urban areas, and creating a Property Map of Assessable Vegetation style process for mapping correction.
Institute members Carolyn Salam from Minter Ellison and Murray Saunders from Saunders Havill Group has both provided guides to assist and navigate the new regulations surrounding koalas.
- Developing InSight: Navigating the Planning Regulation 2017 Schedule 10 Part 10 (Koala Habitat in SEQ region)
- Saunders Havill Group: New Koala Habit Provisions under the Planning Regulations 2017
Below are critical links for member convenience:
- The Koala mapping including Koala Priority Area boundary is also available via Queensland Globe. To view the new koala habitat mapping on Queensland Globe:
- Zoom in to the area of interest on the map, or use the search function
- On the left-hand side of the screen, click Layers. An All Layers panel will appear
- At the top of the panel, click Add layers
- Click the down arrow next to Environment to expand that layer
- Select Koala plan
- Select the map/s that you want to display (note: select both koala habitat area (core) and koala habitat area (locally refined) to see the areas of koala habitat protected in your area).
- Property-scale maps – including new koala habitat areas and Koala Priority Areas – can be accessed by downloading a free vegetation management report here.
Regulations and policy
- Koala legislation and policy website including clearing restrictions, assessment benchmarks and guideline, Koala-sensitive design guideline, and fact sheets.
Do not hesitate to let us know of your experiences with the mapping and regulations by contacting Martin Zaltron.