Proposals to boost region’s employment!
The Institute was invited to comment on the Mackay region’s existing development incentives. The branch lodged a submission that proposed a range of incentives that could sustainably accelerate approvals in Mackay by 350 dwellings per year and increase employment.
Our recommendations included:
- To equalise incentives where infrastructure is provided by the applicant
- Allow for low cost deferral of payment of charges until sale of the apartment or land
- Support for bio industry, industry, tourism, and health related initiatives
- Incentives for infill development CBD development
- A grant like the Rockhampton $5000 new home incentive or the Brisbane rates discount for first home buyers.
A boost to the available incentives generally was also recommended.
Any comments on this issue can be directed to Manager of Policy, Martin Zaltron.