Institute encourages economic growth
The Institute has written to council outlining its recommendations for the region to capitalise on future economic development opportunities.
- Institute has written to council with ideas to encourage economic development opportunities
- Suggested range of incentives that could accelerate dwelling approvals.
The Institute has written to council outlining its recommendations for the region to capitalise on the future economic development opportunities. Using council’s current review of the Economic Development Strategy, the Institute has highlighted that the proposed range of incentives could sustainably accelerate approvals in Mackay by 350 dwellings per year and increase employment.
Our recommendations included:
- To equalise incentives where infrastructure is provided by the applicant
- Allow for low cost deferral of payment of charges until sale of the apartment or land
- Support for bio industry, industry, tourism, and health related initiatives
- Incentives for infill development and CBD development
- A grant like the Rockhampton $5000 new home incentive or the Brisbane rates discount for first home buyers.
A boost generally to the available incentives was also recommended.
Any comments on this issue can be directed to Manager of Policy, Martin Zaltron on (07) 3229 1589.