How will local government handle HomeBuilder?
The Institute has written to local governments to ensure they have resources in place to do their part in helping homebuyers access the HomeBuilder grant given the limited window of opportunity for accessing the grant.
The HomeBuilder program is generating substantial activity in obtaining approvals, relaxations, bonding and works to allow construction of new homes.
The Institute has proposed several options that councils might implement, including:
- allocating additional council resources to operational works assessment and sign off
- engaging consultants to outsource applications to alleviate potential resource deficiencies
- enabling parallel lodgement and assessment of related operational works
- supporting building certification and building relaxation processes such as reducing the 35-day accepted development process
- supporting building works approval and commencement of construction prior to survey plan endorsement
- bolstering resources in plan sealing and pre-seal inspections to ensure project delivery
- accepting developer undertakings to comply with condition requirements after plan sealing
- enabling, as far as possible, bonding of works.
If you have any feedback, please contact Policy Manager, Martin Zaltron via email or on (07) 3229 1589.Contact Martin