Brisbane transport projects update
The Institute recently received a response from Brisbane’s Lord Mayor about key infrastructure projects in the region.
- Timely infrastructure delivery highlighted in our proactive submission to BCC
- Lord Mayor responds in detail noting their infrastructure investment
- Infrastructure Charges of $134 million in cash and $5 million in non-cash contributions received from industry.
The Institute recently received a response from Brisbane’s Lord Mayor about key infrastructure projects in the region. The response was generated from the Institute’s proactive submission that highlighted infrastructure priorities arising from a new Research Foundation report. The Lord Mayor’s response noted:
- Council is currently preparing the Housing Strategy
- Beams Road Rail crossing awaits the State Government’s response
- North West Transport Network business case, with Commonwealth funding to be completed during 2021, and will investigate multi-modal transport solutions
- The State is scheduled to commence construction this year on the Northern Transitway
- There is a $22 million State commitment to the Eastern Transitway
- Brisbane Metro services will commence in 2023 (subject to approvals)
- A preliminary business case is complete for the Kangaroo Point Pedestrian Bridge with public consultation and further green bridges being progressed.
Council’s total investment in all infrastructure in 2017-18 was $1.6 billion. Expenditure on trunk infrastructure, such as community purposes, stormwater and transport networks in the LGIP, was $431 million. This was partly funded by infrastructure charges of $134 million cash and $5 million in non-cash contributions, and $297 million through alternative sources such as Council rates and grants.
The Institute will continue to advocate on behalf of members to all levels of government on the importance of timely infrastructure delivery to unlock the city’s development potential.
If you have any comments, please contact Martin Zaltron on (07) 3229 1589 for an Institute submission.