Awards

How to enter UDIA Qld Awards for Excellence

 

The UDIA Queensland Awards for Excellence represent the Institute’s commitment to creating inspiring communities for Queenslanders by celebrating the industry’s most innovative ideas. Launched in 1994, the Awards have grown to become the development industry’s highest accolade.

Please note the entries for the 2018 UDIA Qld Mitchell Brandtman Awards for Excellence are now closed.

The Awards are open to Institute members only and includes the following stages:

-        Intents to Enter

-        Submissions

-        Site inspection and presentations to judging panel

-        Awards winners announcement.

Intents to Enter

The annual awards program begins with an expressions of interest process early in the year called Intents to Enter. Members can express their intent to submit a project for the Awards free of charge. This stage provides members with the opportunity to get a head start on their submission, as it is the only way to receive an advance copy of the criteria and access the early bird entry fee.

Prior to the closure of Intents to Enter, the Institute hosts a compulsory information session to help members understand the requirements to maximise their chances of winning. This is an opportunity to ask questions about the criteria, meet a judge, get tips for the site tour, and become more familiar with the entire awards process and what it entails.

Register your Intent to Enter now.

Submissions

The written submission accounts for 30% of the awards scoring, and the site inspection with the judging panel accounts for the remaining 70%.

The written submissions go through a two-step ‘health-check’ process involving an initial internal review, followed by an independent review. This ensures the projects entered align with the category criteria. In the case a project does not meet the criteria, the Institute will contact the entrant and advise which category their entry is being transferred to.

Following submissions, site inspections are scheduled to each project. These site inspection dates and times are not negotiable, and entrants are expected to be prepared on their allocated date. The Institute engages judges each year who are expected to volunteer up to three days of their time to review the entries of their assigned category.

The judges have a panel leader who acts as the chair and coordinates the process for their allocated category(ies). The Institute rotates judges to create a mix of both experienced and new panel members to ensure objectivity, bring new perspectives, and give other senior industry members an opportunity to participate.

After the panels have scored all the projects in their category, scores are sent to the Institute. These are reviewed and collated to confirm the recommendation of the panel of the category winner and finalist(s).

The entire awards process takes over nine months and is a highly confidential exercise. Members are required to attend the information session to ensure they understand the process and how best to approach their entry. 

To register your interest for the 2018 UDIA Qld Awards for Excellence email marketing@udiaqld.com.au to subscribe to updates.